Using Inventory Mode in ItemTest
This article will explain the process of setting up the ItemTest software tool with the Speedway Revolution R420 reader, and using it to read RFID tags.
Latest R420 reader Firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/73cjh0zvwtnxp65/AABIkVJ7-0uIYeVI5agf66wCa?dl=0
Configuring Inventory Mode in ItemTest
In order to use ItemTest with the R420 reader, we must first configure ItemTest to connect to the reader. For detailed instructions on connecting the reader to a PC and performing a complete setup, please see Setting Up Your Speedway Revolution Reader.
NOTE: ItemTest will not be able to connect to a reader if Speedway Connect has been installed on it. To use ItemTest, Speedway Connect must be uninstalled from the reader.
Once the reader is setup, install and launch the ItemTest software. You should see the ItemTest home screen, shown below.
From the home screen, select "Reader Settings" in the top left corner to add a new reader to ItemTest. Select the "New" button and enter the reader's hostname to create a new reader to connect. The reader's hostname will be speedwayr-xx-xx-xx.local, where "xx-xx-xx" is the last 6 characters of the reader's MAC address. Once this is done, a new line should be added to the Reader Settings menu and will be populated with the reader's information.
Once the reader has been added, it can be configured. Selecting the "ENABLED" button will toggle the reader's Status, either ENABLED or DISABLED. Selecting the "Configure" button will open the reader's settings for configuration.
The image above shows the settings that are configurable for the connected reader.
- Antennas: Allows for the specification of the number of antennas to use
- Reader Mode: Setting that adjusts how the reader operates
- Estimated Population: Estimation of the number of tags present in a single read zone
- Session and Search Modes: Please see the linked article for a brief explanation of EPC Gen2 Sessions and Search Modes: https://support.impinj.com/hc/en-us/articles/202756158-Understanding-EPC-Gen2-Search-Modes-and-Sessions
- Power (dBm): Allows for the configuration of the read power of the reader
- Filter: Allows for a read filter to be enabled so that only specific tags respond
- FastID: Functionality that allows for a tag's TID to respond more quickly (exclusive to Monza tags)
- Memory Bank: The RFID tag memory bank to which the filter is applied
- Bit pointer: The starting bit to which the filter is applied
- Length: The length of the data being filtered (in bits)
Once all desired changes to the reader's settings have been made, select "Save As New Profile" to save a profile of these settings or select "OK" to apply the settings. Once the settings have been saved as a profile, that profile can then be selected in the Reader Settings page.
Application Settings - Inventory Tab
The Application Settings page shows the available settings that are applicable to the reader in Inventory Mode.
- List View - These settings will appear in the tag report list if checked
- Table View - These settings will appear in the tag report table if checked
Once all reader configuration is completed, ItemTest is ready to perform an Inventory read. ItemTest's Inventory Mode functionality allows the user to use the specified reader settings to scan the environment for RFID tags and report the tag data selected in Application Settings. In this mode, no location or directional data is reported.
To begin reading, select the "Start" button. As each RFID tag is read, its data will appear on the screen.
Each unique tag will have its own tag report, which is color-coded according to how often the tag is read. If a tag does not respond over a short amount of time, the tag report for that tag will become a darker shade of red.